ABOUT OUR 2016 CHARITY DRIVE IN GAUTENG
This year’s beneficiary was a non-profit organisation called Ark Animal Centre (2012/171809/08), based in Chartwell (near Fourways) in Gauteng. Ark Animal Centre is a rehabilitation and re-homing animal shelter that has a no suffer policy for animals in their care. They specialise in puppies, but also take in adult dogs. They take in dogs from all over Gauteng and home them country wide. They homed 100 dogs in their first 100 days – a first in welfare. Their aim is to change the consciousness and attitude of people towards animals in South Africa through education and awareness and to promote animal welfare & animal rights.
Their Adoption Process:
They encourage people to visit their shelter if they plan to adopt a dog. You can spend as much time as you need meeting and playing with the puppies until you find the one who steals your heart. Their team will assist you while you fill out the application form. After reference checks are done and you have decided on a puppy, an adoption contract is signed and you may take your puppy home. Their adoption fee is R1000 which includes the first two inoculations, de-worming, rabies and sterilisation at 6 months old. Visit their website for more information on www.arkanimalcentre.co.za
ABOUT THE ACTIVITIES ON THE DAY
A much-needed Isolation Unit with cages, plumbing and electrical was added as an extension to Ark Animal Centres existing property. A big thank you goes out to Bri-Dev Projects who donated materials and labour to make this project possible! Renewal Institute staff painted the area on the day, with paint generously sponsored by Prodec Paints.
On the same day, we also hosted a Charity Fun Day to raise awareness and funds for the centre. We were blessed with a beautiful sunny day. The event was open to the public and more than 80 people attended, some with their furry-friends, to enjoy the day with us. There were stalls offering services such as bathing/dipping dogs, dog products and accessories, crafts, delicious food, as well as a jumping castle and face painting for the kiddies. A great day was enjoyed by all and we made many new furr-ends!
Our staff were divided into groups and assisted with the following on the day:
- Registration team - This team manned the registration table and guided people where to go and what was available on the day.
- Dog Adoption Team - Each member of this team adopted an Ark dog for the day. They fed, bathed, brushed, played and walked them.
- Food team - This team sold Boerewors Rolls during the day to raise money for Ark, and raised R2 500!
- Dog Wash team - This team washed and dipped the dogs attending the event for a fee to raise additional funds for Ark. Hot Dogs Grooming Salon sponsored one of their vehicles and a groomer to assist us on the day.
- Competitions team - This team hosted the Doggy Competitions, the Lucky Draw and manned the Agility/Obstacle Course.
- Donation distribution team - they organised and packed out all the donations Ark received.
- Painting team - this team added the finishing touches to the Isolation Unit.
Our in-branch fundraising activities included selling Home Made Dog Treats baked with love by our Head Office Team, our Therapists performed back massages for a R100 donation and we had collection tins available in all out Gauteng branches to collect loose change. Thank you to all our clients and staff who contributed to these in-branch fundraising activities, we raised a total of R21 856.65 for Ark Animal Centre! There were also collection boxes to collect the items on their wish list and we also managed to collect all the items on their wish list and much more!
- Bri-Dev Projects for donating the materials and labour to complete the much-needed Isolation Unit at Ark Animal Centre
- Fagron Pharmaceutical Compounding Services for donating a generous R5 000 to our initiative
- Radiant Healthcare, Obagi, Genop and NuAngle for collecting the much-needed items on the wish list and attending on the day to assist us with the various activities.
- Sign Force for sponsoring a brand new sign for the Isolation Unit
- Prodec Paints for sponsoring the paint used for the Isolation Unit
- Hot Dogs Grooming Salon sponsored one of their vehicles and a groomer to assist us on the day.
- West Pack Lifestyle for giving us a 5% discount on all the goods we bought to make the Charity Day possible.
“Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever”