Skin Renewal Tip
To take a non-surgical face lift to the next level, Titan® and 3D Skin Rejuvenation should be combined with the Liquid Facelift which addresses volume loss, a common sign of ageing.
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1Are Titan Skin Tightening treatments available at all Skin Renewal branches ?
- 2What is Titan ® Skin Tightening?
- 3What awards has the Cutera Titan won in the international market?
- 4How does it work?
- 5What is the difference between Titan and other Skin Tightening devices?
- 6When should one start Titan® Skin Tightening?
- 7How can Titan® give back a youthful appearance and help the ageing process?
- 8Can Titan® be combined with other treatments?
- 9Is Titan® safe?
- 10Can all skin types be safely treated with Titan®?
Titan® Skin Tightening treatments are available in Johannesburg and Pretoria at the Rivonia, Morningside, Parkhurst, Bedfordview, Fourways, Illovo, Irene, and Brooklyn as well as in the Western Cape at Cape Quarter, Claremont, Constantia, and Stellenbosch branches and KwaZulu Natal in Hillcrest.
Scientists recently discovered that light and radiofrequency energy can be used to heat deeper layers of the skin while protecting the surface of the skin. This heating activates fibroblasts, causing new collagen to form and existing collagen to tighten over time. The most common areas treated are the face and neck, resulting in firmer, tighter, and lifted jowls, cheeks, neck and eye area. The Titan® utilizes a pulsed broadband infrared source of 850 - 3000 nm. The tightening effects of Titan are immediate but the best results come down the line, when the effects of collagen production become evident. Titan's light-based platform provides a more uniform distribution of energy for heating the deep dermis than other energy sources, such as RF (radio-frequency).
One can see an immediate tightening effect after one Titan® treatment but best results are seen after three treatments spaced 1 month apart.
In 2007, in the USA, the Aesthetic Trends and Technologies Choice Awards™, nominated the Cutera Titan® as best device for skin laxity.
The natural ageing process, along with sun damage, causes collagen fibers to stretch and loosen like worn rubber bands, resulting in less elastic skin that eventually droops. Titan® tackles this problem by delivering infrared light deep into the dermis, the inner layer of skin where collagen resides, and prompting the collagen to repair itself. The light works in two ways: It heats up the weak collagen, causing it to immediately contract and thicken, and it also creates micro-injuries to the dermis, encouraging it to produce new collagen over a period of three months. The result is a smoother, tighter, more toned look that occurs naturally.
- One of the biggest draws of Titan® is that it is almost painless, a major difference between Titan® and its predecessor, Thermage. Both skin tightening systems work by heating the dermis and contain cooling devices within the hand pieces that continuously control the temperature of the skin's surface.
- Thermage uses radio-frequency energy, which dermatologists claim is much more intense and harder to control than light energy, making the treatment quite painful. Radio-frequency energy can also go too deep and may destroy fat under the skin resulting in dimpling, unevenness and skin depressions. With Titan, there is no risk of skin irregularity because it doesn't go deeper than the dermis.
- Patients often ask the difference between Titan® and its competitor Thermage. Both are considered the gold standard for skin tightening and both were nominated for the best device for skin laxity.
- At Skin Renewal, Titan® procedures are never performed alone and 99% of Titan® treatments are part of our signature treatment, 3D Skin Rejuvenation™, which allows for optimal results when combined with other treatment modalities.
- fine lines,
- deeper wrinkles,
- brown age spots
- redness or Rosacea
- facial spider veins
- skin laxity
Separately each clinical application presents a powerful solution for the most in demand, fastest growing procedures with no downtime. Any non-surgical treatment modality on its own can make a big difference, but in our eyes it's not sufficient.
Thus in addition to the above procedures, at Skin Renewal, 3D Skin Rejuvenation™ is combined with:
- A Radiofrequency procedure Accent, TriPollar or Velashape for additional tightening
- Microdermabrasion for skin resurfacing
- Transdermal Mesotherapy with Growth Factors and hyaluronic acid increased rehydration and enhanced collagen stimulation
- Carboxytherapy for further tightening especially on the neck and around the eye area for the improvement of dark circles.
3D Skin Rejuvenation takes skin tightening to the next level, whereas, Thermage is a skin tightening device that does not address red and brown discolouration, facial spider veins, skin dehydration, sallowness and deeper wrinkles.
In summary, the prospects of "the perfect skin and face" are now possible with Skin Renewal's 3D Skin Rejuvenation but this usually comes at price. At Skin Renewal we have recognized this problem and have come up with a customized solution to make it more affordable by combining 3 D Skin Rejuvenation in an affordable package over a period of 6 to 12 months. The beauty is that each treatment is accumulative.
With the advent of skin tightening devices, virtually any patient in their thirties or above can be a candidate for a little tightening and firming and the younger the patient the better the result. Eight out of ten patients get noticeable improvement in skin laxity after their first treatment, and ten out of ten will be putting collagen " in the bank" for the future.
Perhaps even more promising is the idea that treating skin with lasers earlier on in the ageing process - actually slow or prevent the skin from breaking down and appearing wrinkled and saggy later on in life.
Patients often complain of looking "old" and "jowly", largely because they have lost significant volume in and around the cheeks, causing them to "sink and sag." Sagging skin is one of the most significant contributors to facial ageing. When the lower parts of the face start dropping, defy gravity, by having a skin tightening treatment with Titan® which gently heats up the collagen in the deep dermis and causes a tightening and lifting effect of 1 to 3 mm instantly, enough to make difference and restore youthful contours to the face.
In addition the effects of gravity and the predominance of the brow depressors can cause the brow to droop, lowering the brow and causing an aged look. At Skin Renewal, we also offer Titan® as a non-surgical alternative to a brow lift. Titan® skin tightening heats the collagen fibrils on the brow causing them to shrink. Titan® also improves the quantity of collagen in the treated area.
If one can keep one's skin firm and taught with collagen, then the sagging that takes place over time can be contained as tighter skin supports the face. The new concept today is to start with tightening rejuvenation treatments early so as to avoid or postpone surgical solutions for as long as possible. Maintaining a young face isn't a sprint - it's a marathon. Rather than waiting until their problems are bothersome again, patients must appreciate that maintenance goes a long way and Titan® treatments should be repeated once or twice a year.
The protocol methods for performing tissue tightening treatments have changed since the release of these devices and the results are very dependent on the amount of Titan® treatments done.
At Skin Renewal.Titan® is one of the star performers of our 3D Skin Rejuvenation treatments. This combination is one of the most widely used and most effective methods of achieving a significant non-surgical "face lift". Botox and fillers can be safely combined with Titan® and are usually done after a Titan procedure is administered.
Skin Renewal therapists have performed thousands of Titan® treatments for our patients with great results, and virtually no side effects. In some rare instances (0,008%) a small burn mark has developed post treatment which resolved without any consequences. The discomfort has decreased with these changes and the chance for more immediate improvement has increased. To evaluate results, we have patients come in for follow-up evaluations six months following the treatments.
Yes, all skin types including skin of colour can be safely treated with Titan®.