The Dermapen uses multiple needles that pierce the skin vertically with minimal pain compared to traditional Dermaroller rejuvenation. The Dermapen skin rejuvenation treatment has great results and there appears to be much less epidermal damage. The automatic, high speed vibrating function of the Dermapen increases the effectiveness of the treatment by rapidly creating multiple insertions, quickly and clinically, dramatically reducing pain and discomfort for the patient.
Dermapen Skin Needling at a Glance
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1Are Dermapen treatments available at all Skin Renewal branches?
- 2How does Dermapen™ Skin needling work?
- 3How long does the new collagen last?
- 4When should one start Dermapen™ Skin Needling for anti-ageing?
- 5What are the typical areas that are treated?
- 6What to expect After the Dermapen Skin Needling procedure?
- 7What are the advantages Dermapen™ Skin Needling over other resurfacing procedures?
- 8Can this be combined with other procedures?
- 9Is Dermapen Skin Needling safe?
- 10Can all skin types be treated?
- 11Skin Renewal tip:
- 12What are the advantages the new automatic skin/micro needling Dermapen™?
Dermapen treatments are available in Johannesburg, Sandton and Pretoria at the Morningside, Parkhurst, Bedfordview, Fourways, Illovo, Irene, Brooklyn as well as in the Western Cape at Cape Quarter, Claremont, Constantia, Somerset West, Stellenbosch and Willowbridge branches and KwaZulu Natal in Hillcrest and Umhlanga.
The concept of skin needling is based on the skin's ability to repair itself whenever it encounters physical damage such as cuts, abrasions and other physical trauma. Immediately after an injury occurs our skin destroys old damaged tissue such as acne scarring and wrinkles and replaces it with new fresh healthy collagen. Skin needling allows for controlled induction of the skin's self repair mechanism by creating micro "injuries" in the skin which triggers a whole cascade of events that result in new collagen synthesis. The result is smoother, firmer and younger looking skin down the line. A great treatment for all skin types especially patients with acne scarring, enlarged pores and moderate to severe wrinkling.
Skin needling procedures are performed in a safe and precise manner with the use of the sterile Dermapen needle head. The procedure is normally completed within 20 minutes for the entire face and neck and up to 60 minutes for the body depending on the size of the problem area. This is a great treatment for stretch marks and sagging/crepey skin. Before the procedure commences a topical anaesthetic or local block is applied to the client's skin to ensure a virtually painless experience. During the treatment, the practitioner gently moves the DermaPen over the client's skin to create miniscule sub-cutaneous channels. This is perceived by the body as a "mini wound" which stimulates the release of growth factors that trigger the production of collagen and elastin, which is all part of the healing process. This new fresh collagen remodels over time and thus one can expect moderate skin tightening of the treated area down the line. Sagging skin, stretch marks, pores and acne scars are all improved upon.
The process of Dermapen micro-needling skin remodeling can go on for months after each Dermapen treatment and the results are accumulative. Initial results can be seen within 10 days. (The best results of one single treatment can be seen up to 3 months later and the collagen is continually growing and maturing in the skin over a 90 day period).
The good news is that the latest treatments such as Dermapen Skin Needling are more effective than ever and treatments should be started sooner when the skin has a much greater ability to rejuvenate. If wrinkles are left and they become ingrained and scar like they are much more difficult to treat. It is also a great idea to start treatments to prevent the dreaded sagging that takes place with ageing around the brow, jawline and neck.
Dermapen Skin Needling is a novel way to treat: fine lines and wrinkles around eyes, mouth, cheeks, neck and décolleté. Other areas of the body can also be treated such as the abdomen, back of the hands and arms. All forms of acne scars, most surgical scars including facelift scars, abdominal scars, breast plastic surgery scars, post liposuction scars, orthopedic scars, stretch marks and burn contracture scars can safely be treated. In addition stretch marks on the breasts and body and loose body skin are also safely treated.
The typical areas treated with Dermapen are for full face for skin rejuvenation. At Skin Renewal the Dermapen is used on more difficult problems such as acne scarring and deep, ingrained wrinkles around the mouth, enlarged pores and surgical scars. The only type of scars that the Dermapen would not have a positive result on is keloidal scar tissue. Dermapen Skin Needling cannot be performed on any active inflammatory condition including active acne.
There is minimal downtime after this treatment as you may experience facial redness for 12-48 hours after the procedure. Most people are able to return to normal daily activities immediately after the treatment as at Skin Renewal we apply a breathable healing camouflage such as Lycogel which seals the skin and covers any redness.
- Sharp needles as new needles are used at each treatment; disposable needles eliminate risk of cross contamination.
- Needles are injected at a straight angle instead of rolling in at an angle.
- Induces more micro injections per square centimeter.
- Needle adjustments from 0.3mm-2.5 mm allows for treatments tailored to individual patient needs.
- More controlled and uniform treatment giving more consistent results.
- Less pain and redness for patient.
- Ability to treat hard to reach areas such around the nose and eyes.
- For treatment of: wrinkles, smoker's lines around the lips, skin tightening and rejuvenation, large pores, stretch marks, scars and surgical scars.
Dermapen Skin Needling can be combined at a later stage with other non invasive procedures such as Laser Genesis, Injectables, Dermal Fillers, superficial peels, Pearl™, IPL, Transdermal Mesotherapy and other non ablative laser procedures such as 3D Skin Rejuvenation™ These other procedures usually address different problems of ageing such as dull complexion, pigmentation, sagging of jowls, forehead and flabby necks. Combined procedures usually give superior results.
At Skin Renewal, we always pre-treat our patients with PDT / LED lights for improved healing.
One hour before the treatment a local numbing agent is applied to the area and then placed under the PDT/ LED light making the procedure with the cosmetic Dermapen almost painless. The needle only penetrates through the epidermis and does not remove it thus the skin’s natural protective barrier remains intact. The pierced epidermis rapidly heals in a matter of hours. After the procedure, the treated skin has the appearance of moderate sunburn which improves over the next 24 to 48 hours. Breathable make up can be worn immediately after the treatment. The treatment is therefore not only very effective but also very safe with very few (to no) side effects or complications.
Dermapen can be safely performed on all skin colours and types.
For acne scars, deeper wrinkles and for general rejuvenation, we are seeing great results with a combination treatment alternating between the new Dermapen treatment and a combination of Carboxytherapy and our popular Laser Genesis rejuvenation treatment. 6 to 8 treatments alternating between the two are needed for optimal results.
- The Dermapen uses multiple disposable needles that pierce the skin vertically with minimal pain compared to the traditional Skin Needling Dermaroller. This is due to the automatic, high speed vibrating function of the Dermapen which increases the effectiveness of the treatment by rapidly creating multiple insertions, quickly and clinically, dramatically reducing pain and discomfort for the patient compared to the manual action of the micro needling manual rolling device.
- The Dermapen skin rejuvenation treatment appears to have improved results and there appears to be much less epidermal damage as the needles are injected at a straight angle instead of rolling in at an angle as with manual roller device.
- The automatic Dermapen induces more micro injections per square centimeter with mild discomfort only.
- Automatic Needle adjustments on the fly from 0.3mm-2.5mm allow for all treatments to be tailored to individual patient needs. When treating acne scars on the cheeks, one can adjust the Dermapen to a depth of 2.5 mm depth for better results. Over the eyelid area the needle depth can be decreased to 0.5 mm. The electrical stimulation and vibrating function of the Dermapen make the treatment less painful especially on the body for the treatment of stretch marks.
- The Dermapen results in a more controlled and uniform treatment giving more consistent results.
- Each treatment is done with sharp needles as new needles are used at each treatment, disposable needles eliminate risk of cross contamination.
- Because of the adjustable depths and the slim design of the Dermapen, doctors are able to treat hard to reach areas such around the nose and eyes by adjusting the needle depth of penetration.
- Dermapen treatments done by trained doctors allows for improved rejuvenation for wrinkles, smoker's lines around the lips, skin tightening, large pores, stretch marks, scars and surgical scars.
- The automatic Dermapen can only be used by doctors.
- Therapists who perform skin rejuvenation treatments with the traditional skin/micro needling manual rollers are only allowed to go to depths of 0.5 mm which is a superficial depth and treatment with limited results and rejuvenation.
23 Reviews (average: 5 out of 5)See all reviews
Liezel was amazing and since having Dermapen my skin has been glowing, the texture great and overall fine lines and wrinkles reduced drastically. Would honestly recommend this to anyone without hesitation. Thank you Skin & Body Renewal and big thank you to Liezel!
I find my skin feeling stronger and feel 10 year younger! I am very pleased with my overall experience of Skin Renewal Somerset West. Lizanne is wonderful person! She always makes me feel blessed and cared for. I normally can not wait for my next appointment.
I have been a loyal customer with Skin Renewal for 2 years and my reason for returning is the wonderful treatments (peels & dermapen) I receive from Lezanne. She knows exactly what my skin requires and results continue to amaze me. She is an asset to this company and can't praise her enough!
Excellent service, always flexible to adjust to my schedule, very professional, thorough, amazing attention to detail, deep knowledge of skin conditions & treatments, valuable advice on solutions/improvements. Overall great attention to client needs, Angelique is a true professional & expert in her area.
So far it has been an interesting experience doing the dermapen alternating with the peel/laser genesis. Carmen has been quite gentle with me explaining to me the process and what I should expect, of which I really do appreciate.
It has been a journey to get here! I arrived with active acne that was treated through a series of peels. Now that my skin has stabilized, I was left with acne scarring, which is being treated with Dermapen. After the first session I could already see the results, so today I am back for my second!
Bernice is selfversekerd, positief en baie professionaal. Tog voel mens baie tuis by haar, gedurende die Dermapen gesigsbehandeling.
I always feel fantastic after treatments with Lizanne at Skin Renewal Somerset West. It is always a really relaxing experience. I have had many compliments about the improvement of my skin.
Dr Dominique, at the Skin Renewal Claremont branch, was unbelievable professional and very friendly during my dermapen treatment. She is exceptionally knowledgeable and very happy to answer all my questions thoroughly.
Cindy, my therapist, was an absolute delight - she is beautiful, gentle and also highly professional in her approach. Overall my experience with both Cindy & Dr Dominique was brilliant and surpassed all of my expectation. I'll definitely use Dr Dominique again for all my future treatments and recommend her and Cindy to all my friends and colleagues
Bernice verduidelik fantasties en gee ongelooflike facials! Die behandelings tot dusver is ek baie tevrede mee en my vel lyk beter as in baie jare. Die pigmentasie is besig om weg te gaan en my vel tekstuur is sag en sonder enige "break outs" wat ek selde, indien ooit, nou meer kry. Ek is baie tevrede met die kwaliteit en diens van Bernice, baie dankie Skin Renewal Stellenbosch.
Landa is always very pleasant. Her infectious smile just brings about a welcoming feeling. Which leads one to become very comfortable here at skin Renewal. She has a genuine interest in her clients and can adapt and relate to all individuals enabling comfort, openness and trust. She is thoroughly professional, extra caring and very honest. She is pretty too. Awesome service from an awesome person.
Very helpful and the advice I get I will apply to my whole family. The continuous support from Tamara is amazing.
Overall pleasant. Strange, almost painful on removal of anaesthetic, skin looks plump - will see the effect later and comment again.
The staff at Skin Renewal Constantia are amazing, and offer an overall excellent service. I highly recommend this clinic to all my friends! The front desk staff are efficient and go above and beyond to make each visit enjoyable.
Amazing staff, overall excellent service. Highly recommended to all my friends!
Front desk staff are efficient and go above and beyond to make each visit enjoyable!
So far I have had two treatments with Tammy. The first was 'n peel and Laser Genesis and the 2nd was a therapist Dermapen treatment. Tammy works very thorough and takes her time with all actions (whether is is cleansing, putting on a mask or preparing for a laser treatment or dermapen). She informed me well about treatments and prepares you before she starts with something new. I feel very comfortavble with Tammy, she is pleasant, kind and professional. The best I have ever had!
I find the staff very professional, I like mainly the reminders and booking confirmations. The staff are very caring especially with counseling during treatments. There is also detailed guidance and advice given on the whole treatment, including products, which are non-compelling/ not obligating.
I have been a long time clients at Skin Renewal and to date am very pleased with the service. I see Liezel as my therapist and Dr Cecile Baard for other treatments. The environment is always relaxed and friendly and I always enjoy my visits, even the ones that are somewhat painful.
I'm really happy with all the treatments and products i'm using, thanks to the doctor and therapist for advising brilliantly.
The staff are very professional, Cheray is amazing! Lovely experience every time!
Excellent customer service. Friendly, helpful staff. Cheray is an excellent therapist - provides insight into each product and treatment; assured me of the benefits of the treatments; makes me feel at ease and comfortable.
I would recommend Skin Renewal to others!
I would just like to send a quick thanks to all the ladies (and gents) who do such a brilliant job!
The good experiences started in April when I met with Dr Graham for a consultation about my acne scarring. Since, I have been for three treatments in DermaPen Needling (one with Dr Toni and the other two with Dr Dominique) and most recently, enjoyed my Birthday facial.
A special thank you to Chantel who looked after me so brilliantly yesterday and made myself (and my face!) feel like a million bucks- it was the perfect ending to my drawn out birthday celebrations :)
I would also like to thank the therapists; Storm, Kerry and Douina who always looked after me so well before, during and after each treatment.
Your whole team, from the Doctors who do such a brilliant job (and have given me the exact results I was looking for!) and the therapists who are fantastic; thank you to everyone for making my visits at the Skin Renewal clinic so enjoyable. My skin looks and feels fantastic!
Thank you :)
My experience at Skin Renewal Irene has been amazing, the staff is friendly and professional. Even though the treatment was a bit discomforting, my therapist and doctor were always there to make the experience a little bearable and went out of their way to make me feel comfortable. The whole staff is truly incredible.