PDO Threading at a Glance
Embedded threading is a treatment that involves the use of PDO, polydioxanone, sutures that are injected into the hypodermis of the skin, providing a lifting and smoothing effect. The various thread lengths give the Skin Renewal Doctor a wide range of treatment options, that dissolve in a natural manner over a course of months, whilst synthesizing new collagen production in the treated area. This treatment allows the skin to present smooth and bright, resulting in fewer wrinkles thus improving the skin's overall texture and youthfulness.
The PDO threading treatment is well tolerated by patients, and there is no need for anesthesia. The treatment is now the latest anti-ageing skin treatment is available in South Africa at Skin Renewal clinics.
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1At which Skin Renewal Clinics are the PDO threading treatments available?
- 2What is PDO threading?
- 3What areas can be treated with PDO threading?
- 4What is Derma Spring?
- 5Why use a derma spring thread?
- 6What is embedded threading "Pay as you Go Facelift"?
- 7Who produces the PDO Threads ?
- 8What is a PDO Threadlift?
- 9How does the PDO Threadlift work to build a scaffold of collagen?
- 10What are the benefits of embedded threading procedures?
- 11What are the aesthetic advantages/scientific rationale of the PDO ThreadLift Facelift?
- 12What are the non surgical advantages of Threading?
- 13Is embedded threading a safe procedure?
- 14How do the threads dissolve?
- 15What can I expect during the treatment?
- 16What results can I expect after the treatment?
- 17Can threading be used in conjunction with other skin rejuvenating treatments?
- 18What is the cost of the 4D ThreadLift Facelift ?
- 19What are the main facial areas that can be treated with threading?
- 20What is the cost of a PDO threading treatment?
- 21What areas can be treated with PDO threading?
PDO (Polydioxanone) threading is available at Skin Renewal clinics in Gauteng and the Western Cape. The treatment is only done by our trained medical practitioners so patients would have to schedule an appointment to discuss the treatment plan and various options available.
The PDO threading procedure involves using various lengths of thin acupuncture sterile needles to embed PDO dissolving threads deep underneath the surface of the skin. These wires are placed strategically into the dermis, where it acts as a frame for lifting and tightening loose and sagging skin. The material from which these threads are made, Polydioxanone, is a safe substance that keeps the skin in its new tightened state for 4-6months, whilst also synthesizing new collagen production. The lasting result will provide the skin with a fresh, well rested and firmer look whilst supporting new collagen formation for long lasting results.
This treatment can be used on the face, but also in various areas of the body where the main objective is creating a lift, rather than restoring volume.
Derma spring can treat the following areas;
- Eye area including top and bottom lid
- crows feet
- Vermillion Border of top lip
- Nasolabial folds
- Marionette lines
- Upper Cheeks
- Jowl area
Derma spring is a coil type PDO tread which is twisted to one direction, similar to a spring. Unlike other PDO threads, the Derma spring keeps its elastic force and can increase the physical stimulation to the skin so that the skin itself can create more collagen fiber and cytokine for regeneration. The Derma spring thread has an augmentation effect, therefore giving your skin more volume and skin tightening.
Major features of Derma spring
- Elastic force effect by spring shape PDO
- Continuous physical stimulation to skin
- Increase composition of collagen
- Increase secretion of Growth factors and cytokines
- High density linear effect by fibrous bridging effect
- Augmentation effect by insertion of densely coiled tread
- High cell cultivation with large contact area
1. Increased collagen stimulation:
- Long coiled PDO threads (get much more thread inserted per area) augment process of rejuvenation.
- Increased collagen stimulation due to larger contact area of thread of with dermal tissue.
- Increased collagen, growth factors, cytokine production compared to PDO threads
- More Collagen Stimulation compared to normal PDO thread
- Augmentation effect causes increased collagen
- Growth factor stimulation
- Bridging effects
- Merging effects into upper layers
2. Increased Movement
- Coiled threads allow more movement in certain areas as compared to Monopolar threads the area.
- Elastic force retained in spring in skin
- Maintains elasticity and shape and once inserted into skin
- High density linear effect by fibrous bridging effect on thread
4. Less bleeding, bruising, swelling
5. More comfortable treatment
- More comfortable post treatment due to elasticity.
- Most skin rejuvenation teatments can be restarted 4 weeks after PDO insertion except for Monopolar Radiofrequency. This can only be started 6 months later as it changes the polymer of the thread and hardens it.
The threading Facelift is literally a 5 to 50 minute procedure (depending on the amount of threads used) to lift sagging skin and to improve wrinkles and acne scars. The procedure involves the use of PDO (Polydioxanone) sutures that are easily and painlessly injected into the hypodermis of the skin providing a lifting and smoothing effect on the skin. The various thread lengths give the Skin Renewal Doctor a wide range of treatment options to lift and tighten skin anywhere on the face and body and improve acne scars and wrinkles. The embedded threads synthesize long lasting collagen and elastin in the treated area. The threads dissolve in a natural manner over a course of 8 months but the rejuvenation and tightening effects of these threads last 2 to 3 years due to continual collagen stimulation. This threadlift procedure is also known as the embedded threading "Pay as you go Facelift " as the lifting threads can be inserted over a period of 3 to 6 months depending on the budget of the patient.
These threads are produced by a company in South Korea that produces the most acupuncture needles internationally. Each thread is contained in a thin walled, very sharp acupuncture needle which reduces the sensation of pain on insertion. These very sharp thin walled needles contain an absorbable sterile thread, when after insertion, remains embedded in the skin for a period of 8 to 10 months. During this period collagen is stimulated around these threads producing a vector that lifts skin. These threads also help improve crepey / wrinkled skin on any area on the face, neck, décolleté and body i.e. inner arms and concertina knees.
PDO Threadlift a non-surgical, no scar facelift / threadlift performed using tiny surgical threads that will reabsorb / dissolve over time but will have prolonged rejuvenation effects due to maximal collagen stimulation. Normal skin aging progresses with formation of fine lines and wrinkles by destroying elastic and collagen tissue in epidermis. By boosting cell regeneration with multi-strand threads,one can improve dermal elastin and collagen tissue.
This is a new lifting method of injecting multi-strand threads in order to boost cell attachment and rejuvenate aged & damaged skin. Multi-strand threads used in ThreadLift are made of material-synthetic absorbable sterile surgical suture composed of Polydioxanone, which performs a role as a scaffold / stimulus for new collagen cells to attach to and create a vector of collagen that will lift sagging tissue which will last for 2 to 3 years.
- A reduction in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Younger looking skin, with fewer signs of ageing due to tightening of loose/lax skin
- Improve skin tone, texture, pigmentation, scarring and stretch mark appearance
- Long lasting results, due to new collagen synthesis
- No scars or visible cuts (as can be the result of a traditional facelift)
- Can be performed from the age of 30, or earlier for anti-ageing benefits
- Increased skin metabolism
- Optimization of texture
- Activation of the lymphatic circulation
- Increased circulation in surrounding areas
- Long lasting stimulation of the fascia and of the soft tissues
- Creation of collagen
- Normalization of collagen
- Remodeling of the silhouette
- Tissue elasticity and lifting
- Delayed cutaneous aging
- Skin brightness
- Lifting action: these mini threads are embedded in the layer known as the SMAS, in between the skin and the muscle, facilitating a lifting action on both skin and muscle. Precise implantation at the correct depth and at the appropriate points has an immediate lifting effect on the neck and lower part of the face, where the supporting tissue is weaker. The placement of the threads is based on the use of natural tension lines of the skin/ vectors , causing an effect similar to a surgical face lift.
- Smoothing effect: The use of shorter, thicker threads on the forehead relaxes the muscles, hindering their use and creating a lifting action similar to that produced by botulinum toxins.
- Increased circulation: These threads have a continual stimulation of blood supply to the treated area which results in continual collagen and elastin stimulation in the treated area. After a few days, the treated area looks healthier and brighter.
- Natural final effect: PDO threads works by stimulating the action of the fibroblasts and the final effect is always natural. There is no risk of deformation or changes to the patient's features.
- Similar effect to Botulinum Toxin: the PDO thread relaxes the muscles of facial expression , simulating the effect of botulinum toxin but with the advantage of a more natural look.
- Increased endogenous hyaluronic acid clinical studies have shown that where the thread is inserted, stimulation of endogenous HA occurs and the skin is better hydrated.
- Reduction of fat cells: An additional action on the fatty layers in the SMAS area of the skin, ( the mini threads are embedded in the layer known as the SMAS, in between the skin and the muscle ) helps mobilise adipose tissue, reducing the size of the face and defining features.
- No theatre or anaesthetic required: this procedure is carried out at the Doctor's surgery, with no hospitalization required and just a local anaesthetic.
- No rejection of sutures or significant side effects after the procedure, just mild swelling and possibly a bit of bruising. A simple and fast procedure.
- No mechanical traction with the threads as were needed with the older fixed sutures. There is no tieing or securing of sutures.
- No surgical procedure or facelift necessary to "fish out" unwanted, problematic sutures that was the case with previous non absorbable sutures. These sutures are totally resorbable.
- A non-aggressive procedure. No adverse reactions.
- No need for limited facial expressions for 10 days after the procedure as was the case with fixed sutures.
- There is a very high level of patient satisfaction as the final result is very natural
- These sutures will NOT SNAP with excessive movement of face such as smiling, laughing etc.
- No scarring: The speed of re absorption of the PDO thread, along with its small diameter, prevents risks of thin thickening and scarring which can happen with other biocompatible materials/ threads.
- These threads can be combined and / or supplemented with other cosmetic medical techniques such as Botulinum Toxin, fillers, mesotherapy etc.
This treatment has been used extensively in Europe and the East for many years, and is only recently available in South Africa. The methodology has been tried and tested and only qualified Medical Doctors are authorized to perform this treatment. This procedure is DE approved, FDA pending and there is no risk of granuloma formation.
The PDO (Polydioxanone) substance the threads are made of is a material increasingly used in general surgery, vascular and cardiac surgery for various sutures. Thus, these threads are listed as a class IV medical device which is absolutely safe, fully absorbent and hypoallergenic. The sutures are also heavy metal free, non allergenic, doesn't trigger immunogenicity mechanisms, has no significant side effects, and inflammatory reaction is very low.
All needles are sterile packages and were recorded at the Italian Ministry of Health. Every product is labeled CE 1/93 and complies with legislative decree 92 / 42 EC which regulates medical devices.
The threads are resorbed by hydrolysis and this takes approximately 6 to 8 months to achieve.
The treatment is relatively pain free, due to the deep insertion of the needles and working in the dermis of the skin. Also, there is no down-time after the procedure, with bruising and swelling only being present in a few cases which may last a couple of days.
To alleviate any discomfort a topical anaesthetic can be applied and massaged into the treated area, and the entire treatment takes between 15 - 45 minutes depending on the size of the treatment area.
The doctor will draw the insertion points with a white pencil over the treatment area, following the orientation and directions of gravity. The threading wires are then implanted into this designed supportive structure, without the need for anchors.
The PDO threading treatment gives an instant lifting result, with optimum results setting in after about 3 months. Due to the dissolvable nature of the threads they will last between 4-6 months, but the continued collagen synthesis will leave the new skin structure in place.
A top-up treatment is recommended annually, but your Skin Renewal Doctor will assess and advice on the best treatment plan depending on your skin's needs and your objective.
Yes, the threading treatments work very well with other treatments such as:
- Botox & Filler, as part of a liquid facelift
- Chemical Peels
- Laser rejuvenating treatments
- Radiofrequency and tightening treatments (this has to be done before the threading treatment, or only four months after the threading treatment is completed).
- Any topical facial regime
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Ageing Lips and around the mouth
- Drooping Eyelids
- Crow's Feet
- Sagging eyebrows
- To enhance a V-shaped facial outline.
The Threadlift treatments is priced on the amount of threads inserted. The amount of threads will depend on the area being treated and severity of the lift required. There are different kinds of threads for different problems eg;
Monofilament PDO threads are used for "Firming and Tightening" of saggy, crepey skin.
Barbed or Cog threads are used for "Lifting" of the jawline, neck, forehead and cheeks for a "threadlift facelift".
Prices start at R 750 per thread, depending on the length required and the type of thread eg Monofilament or Barbed threads.
It's is advisable to choose one of our thread packages to get better results for Lifting or Firming and Tightening.
At Skin Renewal we have the following PDO thread package prices:
For the Firming and Tightening packages, monofilament PDO threads are available in packages of 8 to 16 threads for a discounted price starting from R4400 for 8 threads.
For the Lifting/Facelift packages, PDO barbed or cog threads are available in packages of 4 to 16 threads for a discounted price starting from R8400 for 8 barbed threads.
It's best to have a consultation with one of our experienced Skin Renewal doctors to assess which threads are best suited for your anti aging concerns. Ask your doctor about our thread packages which start from R550 per thread.
Derma spring can treat the following areas;
- Eye area including top and bottom lid
- crows feet
- Vermillion Border of top lip
- Nasolabial folds
- Marionette lines
- Upper Cheeks
- Jowl area
6 Reviews (average: 5 out of 5)See all reviews
I enjoyed a fabulous, relaxing hour with lovely Tamara and experienced my first ever facial at 63! Tamara is an excellent therapist and her own journey in life was a treat to hear. Her tender heart is a gift, she passes on. Thank you! Dr Maureen inspires one with her beautiful soul and sees something one is not aware of and blesses us with her magic! A fabulous uplifting outcome. Thank you so much! It's truly amazing!
I have been a patient of Skin renewal Willowbridge for quite some time. Firstly being treated by Helette and more recently by Juliana. Both highly skilled therapists that I can recommend. After chatting to Juliana about threading And huge amounts of research I decided to take the plunge with Dr. Graham. He is the most patient, compassionate doctor and gives a huge amount of reading material and never pushing for a decision, but always there to help answer any questions. I had the threading done today. Although not totally painless, it was definitely manageable. If there was any sign of pain, Dr Graham was very willing to give a small shot of anesthetic in the pain area. The procedure did not take long, and the slight swelling was gone in a matter of minutes. 4 hours later, there is slight discomfort to the touch, but absolutely no visible signs of trauma, not even where the threads were inserted. No swelling, no bruising and absolutely no pain. Not even my husband noticed anything. I can see a slight improvement in the lift around the jewels, but will see in 3 months when it should show better results. So far I can definitely recommend this treatment and I will check in over the next few weeks. Dr Graham is a honey. Talking you through the whole process and making you feel at ease throughout. Thank you!
I had 28 threads inserted by Dr Maureen Allem at Skin Renewal. The procedure was quick and completely painless. I was a little nervous beforehand, but as soon as Dr Allem started working I felt completely at ease. Once the local anaesthetic wore off later, I experienced a very slight sensation of discomfort - but nothing worth noting.
There was no pain or discomfort from the following day onwards. I bruise very easily, so did experience slight bruising - but I was well prepared for this. I have had a 'before' pic taken, but not an 'after' pic as yet. I would definitely have the treatment again and have already recommended it to many people. It is a very easy and pain-free way to slow down the ageing process and to 'lift' the face.
I was excited to get my "lifting threads" done at Parkhurst. I am on the wrong side of fifty and am against surgery. I was a bit nervous to start off with, but I can honestly say that the doctor was amazing. I had 6 threads inserted on each side of my face. The only slight pain I felt was where she injected me with a local anaesthetic before inserting the threads. I felt no pain during the procedure and no bruising at all! It has been 4 weeks since my threadlift and I am receiving numerous compliments each day. The staff at Parkhurst were so professional. Thank you.
To treat sagging and lax skin, I had about 30 PDO threads inserted in my face - of different lengths and types. This was done after an initial consultation where Dr Maureen assessed my skin and discussed my concerns.
I can honestly say I was really scared that it was going to be painful going forward. However, I was pleasantly surprised the next morning when I had no pain at all, apart from when I touched my face for the next 4 days. My face was slightly swollen but bruising was minimal and was easily covered with a bit of foundation. Areas where the threads had been inserted has already improved substantially, just 2 weeks after initial treatment.
Two weeks later the swelling had subsided, there are still a few lines on my face but the difference from when I had done the threads to two weeks later was astounding!
I have had numerous comments saying I look 10 years younger but most people think it is my new haircut as I cut my hair short and I haven't had short hair in the last 15 years. When you look in the mirror and see a younger version of yourself, it is amazing as you actually feel younger and do drastic things like cutting your hair short!
Excellent service received during my Miracu Threading treatment with Dr Rulene Maré at Skin Renewal Somerset West. Thank you, great results for sagging skin!