Silhouette Soft® Threading at a Glance
Silhouette Lift™ is an FDA cleared minimally invasive technique used to lift and tighten sagging tissue in the mid to lower face. This is a non-surgical alternative to a traditional facelift and is growing in popularity, having been successfully performed over 25,000 times in 55 countries around the world. It is now available in South Africa, with Skin Renewal Doctors offering this world renowned treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1What is Silhouette Soft® Threading?
- 2Why is it important that the threads are resorbable?
- 3What are the indications for embedded threading?
- 4Can the neck be treated with embedded threading?
- 5What are the contra-indications for embedded Silhoutte® threading?
- 6What can be expected during the treatment?
- 7What can be expected after procedure?
- 8When should Silhouette Soft® be recommended?
- It is a resorbable suture with bidirectional cones that is used to redefine facial features, by elevation.
- The suture is made of Polylactic acid and the cones are made of L-actic acid (82%) and glycolic copolymer (18%).
- These components are totally resorbable in 8-12 months for the cones and 18-24 months for the suture.
What happens by placing the thread is a foreign body reaction → leads to inflammation → leads to fibrosis. The cones hold the tissue in place, but the fibrosis causes the eventual lift.
2 actions with 1 treatment:
- Lift action – as soon as the treatment is carried out, the doctor is able to redefine the focused area by compressing the tissue and lifting the skin thanks to the bidirectional cones.
- Regenerating action – by resorbing, the polylactic acid acts in the subcutaneous tissue and stimulates fibroblast activation and collagen production, thus restoring shapeliness to the face.
- Mid-face skin ptosis
- Jaw line ptosis
- Brow ptosis
A Silhouette suture lift improves sagging of the neck and helps restore an optimum angle of the skin in the neck. Before any suture or thread lift procedure, it is very important to understand the capability of the procedure and what CAN and what CAN’T be achieved. If you are expecting the same results as a surgical neck lift procedure, then this is not the appropriate procedure for you. It is important to remember that this procedure is non-invasive and it takes about 60-90 days to see the result, as the result will depend largely on the skin’s condition and healing ability.
Silhouette Suture lifting techniques do not replace surgery. However, they can be used to further improve the results of neck and facelift surgery, OR they can be preventative in younger patients delaying or even preventing the need for surgical intervention. These threads assist the Doctor in repositioning the treated tissue, but do not remove excess tissue. So the tightening part of this procedure is seen after a couple of months once the skin has had the opportunity to lay down the new collagen and elastin which has been triggered by the insertion of the thread. The other great advantage of this is that Silhouette Suture lifts can be repeated over time if necessary, whereas multiple surgeries are highly inadvisable.
The Silhouette sutures described here may be retightened during a secondary procedure.
- Any known allergy or foreign body sensitivities to plastic biomaterial
- Permanent fillers
- Acute and chronic skin diseases
- Auto immune diseases
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Patients with sepsis or infection
- Patient with limited willingness to restrict activities or follow directions during the healing period.
- Patients under 18
Silhouette Lift is an outpatient procedure performed under local anesthesia. The patient remains awake and alert during the procedure, but will be unaware of any pain. The total treatment time is approximately one hour, and the patient will be able to leave immediately after the procedure.
For facial rejuvenation, the Skin Renewal Doctor will make a small incision into the temporal region, just above the hair line. To prevent contamination the patient will wear a head cap and sterilized procedures will be followed. Depending on the desired lift, a number of Silhouette sutures will be inserted and pulled back to lift the lower face.
- After the treatment, most patients experience some mild soreness and pain following the procedure. However, the patient can resume normal activities within two to four days. Expect ten days for the skin to fully recover its natural aspect.
- Swelling and bruising may be noticeable for a number of days (3-10 days)
- The area treated may be tender to touch. Thus is normal and will improve over 5 days
- Follow up appointments are made with the attending Skin Renewal doctor: 3 days after procedure, 1 week after, and 2 weeks after procedure to ensure the skin is responding and healing as it should.
- Ice can be applied to the treated areas, immediately after the procedure and thereafter to reduce swelling.
- Keep the head elevated for the first 3 nights and sleeping face up is recommended (5 nights)
- Wash and dry face gently, without rubbing (5 days)
- Put on make up, shave and wash hair gently (5 days)
- Avoid direct sunlight and do not use tanning beds (2 weeks)
- Avoid facial massages, and all facial aesthetic treatments (3 weeks)
- Avoid sports, in particular contact sports (3 weeks)
- Do not use saunas (3 weeks)
- Avoid dental surgery (3 weeks)
- Avoid excessive facial movements while chewing, talking, yawning, smiling etc. Avoid smoking and drinking from a straw.
- Dr Duve gel can be applied 3 x a day starting the day following the procedure. Patients will experience redness and heat. This is normal as the gel increases circulation to the area.
All threading treatment are a final treatment option. It is thus only recommended after other skin treatments such as lasers and other skin tightening has been done on patients. This is an option for patients who do not want a facelift and want to go to the next level of support and lift of the face.
The ideal patient is a person who has had optimal skin tightening treatments with Exilis or Titania Radiofrequency, or Titan and other treatment, but need extra support or lift for their skin.
8 Reviews (average: 5 out of 5)See all reviews
Melissa is an absolute gem, I will always come to her she is knowledgeable, considerable and informs me of things to do to enhance my looks. Thanks to her and with her encouragement, I decided to have Silhouette Threads. Melissa is an asset to your company and her dedication and commitment to her clients is to be commended. I love my treatments and time spent with Skin Renewal.
I was quite anxious about having this procedure done as I have a phobia about needles! But my anxiety was quickly allayed. The doctors who do the threading are extremely professional and competent, and they work under the most hygienic conditions. I felt completely confident that I was receiving the best possible treatment. The only discomfort I felt was a slight sting as the topical anaesthic was applied, which lasted only a few brief moments. The threading itself, to my great surprise and delight, was completely painless! I had quite a number of threads done and noticed some swelling in a few areas immediately after the procedure, but that didn't last long. There was some bruising around my neck, however, I do bruise easily so was not at all concerned about it. It's been three weeks since I had the threading. I could see good results almost immediately afterwards and as each day goes by, the effects become more and more visible. My face has definitely lifted; I look younger and feel rejuvenated. People comment on it. Can't wait to see how much better I will look three months from now! Thanks to Skin Renewal for giving me this fresh new look!
Dear potential Silhouette client,
I was fortunate enough to be chosen as a candidate to facilitate Doctor training for this procedure. I was quite apprehensive however my nerves were very quickly calmed in the very capable hands of Dr Xen. I had Silhouette threads inserted into the jawline and neck. The procedure was performed by Dr Xen, which was completely painless and two other Doctors learning to do the procedure on the left side which due to their inexperience was a little uncomfortable but manageable.
The jawline results are great and has restored definition to my face. My husband noticed the difference immediately. The sides of my neck line is very slightly improved. I will need additional threading in the neckline to get a further improvement.
I look forward to the ongoing improvement this treatment promises.
I am almost 65 years old and have a younger looking skin (and much more younger looking wife). I needed to make sure that people do not think that the beautiful woman with me is my daughter and not my wife. I had the opportunity to to have a rejuvenation experience when Skin Renewal launched Silhouette Threads. What a pleasant surprise! No discomfort other than slight tenderness for 2 days after a most pleasant insertion procedure and a fresh youthful face in the mirror every morning when I shave.
The local anesthetic and the gentle care of the Aesthetic doctors made the process very smooth running and highly recommendable. Get rid of the aging evidence in comfort and without pain.
The results of my mid-face Silhouette Soft Threads procedure was jaw dropping or should I say “raising”. There was some pain with the local anaesthetic but absolutely no pain thereafter. The Skin Renewal doctor made two tiny entrance and exit points of the 'threads' on each side of my mid-face and voila after 45 minutes I could see the immediate natural lift effect which just keeps on improving day by day. I am extremely pleased thank you!
Thank you Dr Bianca, the results of my Silhouette Soft Threads procedure are everything and more than I expected! Sleeping is a tad uncomfortable for about 5 days after but the immediate effects are just so absolutely worth it! There was no down time. I am a Fan for Life thrilled with my face’s refreshed, lifted and fuller volume appearance.
To all at Skin Renewal, Dr Marilyn and Dr Debbie,
I am so pleased that you have brought in the threads into your treatment menu, they are the answer to all my prayers as they have delivered immediate conclusive results to a mini- facelift without all traumas associated with surgery. It is definitely a worthwhile procedure and has made me feel much more confident about the way I look. The folds from my nose that surrounded my month area have magically disappeared, and it is ideal as it looks so natural – really turning back the clock, looking like a younger version of me, so no one suspects. People think I have just had a damn good holiday……..just what I wanted them to think.
I had 2 Silhouette soft threads inserted on the 10th of March. I must say I was a bit apprehensive, but apart from the local anaesthetic I did not feel much. The lidocaine with adrenaline stung a little bit, but that was it. The procedure of inserting the threads I did not feel at all. When they started applying traction on the threads and moving my skin across it, it felt weird but not painful at all. I had only one small bruise to the right of my mouth corner. I could see immediate results. My jawline was much smoother and even my cheekbones looked more defined. The next day people commented on this. I had some puckering of skin along the path of the threads inserted from my cheekbones, that disappeared within a week. There was tenderness on the boney areas (cheekbones and jaw angle) for a week. It was not painful, only tender when touching it while washing my face. I did feel the need to wash my face carefully for about a week but after that no problem. The insertion and exit points were not that visible and not tender afterwards at all.
I would recommend this to anyone that wants to improve their sagging jowls or any other sagging part of their face. It is minimally invasive and basically painless. Knowing that the results will even improve more over the next 8 months while the threads are dissolving, really makes this worthwhile. The results are amazing!