There are very few people who can honestly say that they have not had “bad stages” with their skin. You know, those days where pimples or breakouts randomly pop up out of nowhere. It can be extremely annoying and embarrassing, especially if you have a big event coming up or you need to be camera-ready.
Most people want to get to a mirror and squeeze or scratch and get rid of those unsightly pimples as quickly as possible. But few consider the potential damage, marking and scarring that can be left behind when they resort to these measures.
What can cause pimples, breakouts or blackheads?
There are many triggers and causes for these; they include:
- Changes in hormonal activity (this can also result in the development of full-blown acne if not managed and controlled properly).
- Using poor quality make-up which contains irritants or comedogenic ingredients, resulting in breakouts and blackheads.
- Stress can also be a huge factor—especially when coupled with poor lifestyle choices such as poor sleep and an unhealthy diet.
- Inadequate or incorrect skincare habits could lead to congestion, clogging the pores and result in breakouts, pimples and blackheads.
- Rough handling of the skin, e.g. aggressive scrubbing, picking, scratching or the use of harsh products.
Tips to avoid pimples, breakouts & blackheads from forming:
- Start with a good cleansing routine. Wash twice daily to remove excess oil, dead skin cells & dirt on the skin.
- Avoid touching or scratching or picking the face.
- Sanitise or wash any make-up brushes or sponges regularly; these can harbour germs and bacteria which get transferred to the skin.
- Use quality skincare that focusses on balancing and controlling the health of your skin. The basics are as follows:
- A gentle cleanser (preferably soap-free)
- A gentle, barrier repairing moisturiser to hydrate the skin
- An SPF to prevent the formation of dark marks or PIH on the skin
- Use an active night time product to exfoliate and renew the skin. Preventing congestion and the build-up of dead skin cells. (Products containing Vitamin A, AHA’s and PHA’s are ideal for this).
- For on-going breakouts, sensitivity and inflammation, it is highly advisable to visit one of the Skin Renewal doctors. They will do an in-depth consultation, treatment and prescription plan.