Several factors can contribute to an uneven complexion, including the amount of collagen and elastin present in the skin.
Collagen and elastin are the proteins responsible for skin elasticity, tone, and texture, and are affected by diet, age, hormones, skin products, cosmetic treatments, and overall health.
In order to achieve smooth skin and a radiant complexion, it is important to understand how these factors affect one another. The first step you can take to improve your skin texture is to identify the culprits behind less-than-perfect skin and actively address them by means of treatments and products and lifestyle changes.
When it comes to “practical management”, there are a number of simple steps you can take to achieve smooth skin and a vibrant complexion.
- Cleanse - Skin that is free of excess oil and debris is going to look and feel better. If you have dry or oily skin, you may want to find a cleanser specifically suited to your skin type.
- Exfoliate - Simple cleansing is usually not enough to improve skin texture. Exfoliation helps remove excess built-up skin, oil, and dirt from the top layer of the skin, making it less prone to roughness, congestion and breakouts. Usually, a gentle facial scrub will do the trick; however, if your skin texture is very rough or uneven, aesthetic exfoliation in-office treatments will help smooth your skin and brighten your complexion.
- Moisturise & Hydrate the skin - Even if you have acne-prone skin or an oily complexion, it is still important to keep your skin hydrated by using a daily moisturiser. Water loss from the skin can have devastating consequences.
- Protect - Sun damage is among the leading contributors to roughened skin texture and uneven tone, not to mention skin cancer. Therefore, it is crucial to protect your skin by wearing a sunscreen or moisturiser with an SPF of 50 or higher every time you are outside (come rain or shine).
In Office Therapies:
Any treatment or products that encourage superficial skin cell turnover and increase the collagen content of the dermis will improve the texture of the skin.
At Skin Renewal we offer a number of treatment options that can be combined, based on the patient’s needs.
In-clinic treatment may include:
- Superficial chemical peels
- Laser Genesis
- Needling with Dermapen
- RF Needling with Secret RF or Endymed Intensif
- Fraxel DUAL Laser
- Endymed FSR (Fractional Skin Resurfacing)
In very severe cases:
- CO2 Laser
- Pearl Fractional Laser / Pearl Fusion
- 3D Peel